Graysville in Greene County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pioneer David Gray for whom this village is named, tomahawked a homestead of 2174 A. here in 1768 and became owner of Fort Enoch circa 1769; enlarged it and renamed it Fort Gray. About 1820 on this same site his son Francis Washington Gray erected "Old Brick."-Tavern Inn which provided overnight lodging for stock drivers who travelled through on this "Old Drovers Road."
Erected 1974 by Gift of Nora Lee Orndorff, In memory of her father John Barclay Orndorff.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. 39° 55.904′ N, 80° 23.275′ W. Marker is in Graysville, Pennsylvania, in Greene County. Marker is on W Roy Furman Highway (Pennsylvania Route 21) 0.1 miles west of Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Located in a Wayside Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Graysville PA 15337, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as The Church - "New Brick" (a few steps from this marker); Ryerson's Blockhouse (approx. 2.8 miles away); In Memory of Sarah Jane Price Ackley (approx. 4 miles away); Site of Old Lindley Fort and Stockade (approx. 9.4 miles away); Waynesburg College (approx. 10.7 miles away); West Park (approx. 10.7 miles away); a different marker also named Waynesburg College (approx. 10.8 miles away); Greene County Civil War Memorial (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 505 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.