Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Glebe of Fairfax Parish

 
 
The Glebe of Fairfax Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin Vincent, June 9, 2012
1. The Glebe of Fairfax Parish Marker
Inscription.  The glebe was a 500-acre farm provided for the rector of Fairfax Parish, which included both Christ Church, Alexandria, and the Falls Church. The Glebe House, built in 1775, stood here. It burned in 1808 and was rebuilt in 1820, as a hunting lodge; the octagon wing was added about 1850. Distinguished persons who have occupied the house include the Rev. Bryan Fairfax (8th Lord Fairfax), John Peter Van Ness (Mayor of Washington), Clarke Mills(sculptor), Caleb Cushing (first U.S. Minister to China), and Frank Ball (state senator).
 
Erected 1969 by Arlington County. (Marker Number 24.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
 
Location. 38° 53.5′ N, 77° 7.07′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on North 17th Street, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4527 Nort 17th Street, Arlington VA 22207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mt. Olivet Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hall's Hill Wall (approx. Ό mile away); Wunder's Crossroads
The Glebe House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin Vincent, June 9, 2012
2. The Glebe House
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Taking Action: E. Leslie Hamm, Jr. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Taking Action: Michael Jones, Gloria Thompson, Ronald Deskins, Lance Newman (approx. 0.6 miles away); Take Action! (approx. 0.6 miles away); Taking Action: Barbara Johns (approx. 0.6 miles away); Arlington County in 1921 / John M. Walton, Architect (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Also see . . .
1. Washington Post article on restoration of the Glebe House. (Submitted on June 4, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.)
2. Wikipedia photo of Glebe House. (Submitted on June 4, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.)
 
The Glebe House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin Vincent, June 9, 2012
3. The Glebe House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on July 1, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=57022

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 28, 2022