Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Tyrrell County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Tyrell County

 
 
Tyrell County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, June 28, 2012
1. Tyrell County Marker
Inscription.  Established as a precinct of Albemarle by the Provincial Assembly of North Carolina meeting at Edenton, November 27, 1729. The 3rd year of the reign of King George II, and named for Sir John Tyrrell of Essex, England, one of the Lords Proprietors of Carolina. This marker dedicated by the County of Tyrell on November 27, 1979, the 250th anniversary of its founding.
 
Erected 1979 by County of Tyrell.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is November 27, 1835.
 
Location. 35° 55.061′ N, 76° 15.113′ W. Marker is in Columbia, North Carolina, in Tyrrell County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Business U.S. 64) and South Broad Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 403 Main St, Columbia NC 27925, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tyrrell County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Tyrrell County Confederate Monument (a few steps from this marker); Edward Warren (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Pettigrew
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 8.2 miles away); Somerset Place (approx. 8.4 miles away); James Johnston Pettigrew (approx. 8.4 miles away); Lake Company (approx. 8.4 miles away); Cool Spring (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
Tyrell County Courthouse (marker on left) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, June 28, 2012
2. Tyrell County Courthouse (marker on left)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=57071

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 31, 2023