Buildings Overlooking Bryant Park
Outstanding New York architecture frames the park
York & Sawyer designed the former Salmon Tower at 11 West 42nd Street in 1926-27. The famed Guastavino Company produced the tile vaults of the Salmon lobby, and bas-reliefs representing the months of the year adorn the building’s entrance.
Warren & Wetmore (architects of Grand Central Terminal) designed the building at 33 West 42nd Street (1912). Until 1926, the third floor housed Aeolian Hall, site of the premiere of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue.
Stern’s department store occupied the site to the west from 1913 to 1970. In 1972, George Bunshaft of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill designed the travertine and glass W.R. Grace Building, with its dramatic sloping form.
At the northeast corner of Sixth Avenue and 42nd Street is the Home Box Office Building designed in 1985 by Kohn Pedersen Fox. Its neighbor at the northwest
The distinctive building at the southeast corner of Sixth Avenue and 40th Street is known as the Bryant Park Studio Building. Charles Alonzo Rich designed the Beaux-Arts style building in 1900-01 to house artists’ studios, including those of photographer Edward Steichen and the painter Fernand Leger. Continuing east on 40th Street, York & Sawyer designed 54 West 40th Street as the Republican Club. Raymond Hood and J. Andre Fouilhoux designed the block’s most prominent edifice, the American Radiator Building, in 1923-24. Now the Bryant Park Hotel, this romantic tower of dark brick is topped with gold, so that when illuminated at night the building resembles a glowing radiator coil. (Hood later directed the team of architects that designed Rockefeller Center.) Andrew Carnegie commissioned the architects Whitfield & King to design 32 W 40th Street as the Engineers’ Club in 1906. John Hemenway Duncan (architect of Grant’s Tomb) designed the lovely Knox Hat Building at the southwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 40th Street. Erected in 1901-02, it housed the
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
Location. 40° 45.196′ N, 73° 59.009′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on West 40th Street. This marker is located in Bryant Park which is bounded by West 42nd Street, 6th Avenue (Avenue of the Americas), West 40th Street and the New York Public Library. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reservoir Square (a few steps from this marker); American-Standard Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Engineers Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Bryant Park Today Monuments in Bryant Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Bryant Park (about 300 feet away); Josephine Shaw Lowell Memorial Fountain (about 300 feet away); Byrant Park Studios - 80 West 40th Street (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 3, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.