Historic New York
In the War of 1812, nearby Sackets Harbor was attacked by a British fleet, but the enemy were repulsed with heavy losses by Americans under General Jacob Brown. Henery Eckford then built a fleet from forest timber by which Captain Isaac Chauncey sought to gain control of Lake Ontario.
After the war there came a period of development. Settlement was promoted by the French nobleman, Le Ray de Chaumont, who purchased a large estate and sold off parcels. Many of these were taken by Yankees from New England, whose industry and thrift ensured material progress.
Farmland and forest, with abundant water power, have made this area important in the economic life of New York State. The Thousand Islands of the St. Lawrence are a favorite
Erected 1963 by Education Department, State of New York & the NYS Thruway Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Historic New York State series list.
Location. 43° 55.991′ N, 75° 57.925′ W. Marker is in Watertown, New York, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Interstate 81, on the right when traveling north. This marker is at one of the parking areas on I-81 Northbound. It's visible from the road, but there is no way to read it without stopping. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Watertown NY 13601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Italian-American Civic Association Founders (approx. 3.7 miles away); Barben-Jones Post 1400 V.F.W. Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); County of Jefferson (approx. 3.9 miles away); County of Jefferson: Celebrating 200 Years (approx. 3.9 miles away); World War Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away); Roswell Pettibone Flower (approx. 3.9 miles away); Henry Keep Home (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watertown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.