Near Fitzgerald in Ben Hill County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ozias Church Bethlehem Church
On March 11, 1854, it was agreed to change the name to Bethlehem Church. The Rev. Hardy McGlawn and the Rev. W.F. Willis served as first pastors after Bethlehem Church was constituted.
Erected 1996 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 077-8.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 31° 50.433′ N, 83° 15.717′ W. Marker is near Fitzgerald, Georgia, in Ben Hill County. Marker is on Bethlehem Church Road 0.1 miles south of Broom Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Breakfast Branch (approx. 6.8 miles away); Gen. Bush's Home (approx. 8.4 miles away); Fitzgerald (approx. 8.7 miles away); Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park (approx. 8.7 miles away); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902 (approx. 8.7 miles away); In Grateful Appreciation of The Boys of Ben Hill Co. (approx. 8.7 miles away); Ben Hill County (approx. 8.8 miles away); New Hope Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fitzgerald.
More about this marker. This marker is a replacement of an earlier marker erected by the Georgia Historical Commission. According to state records, that marker was erected in Irwin County near Lax; the marker's number 077-8 would indicate Irwin County. (Ben Hill County was created from Irwin County in 1906.)
The pastor has investigated the history of the marker, and is quite certain that the marker was always intended for this church. The marker history matches this church; there is a Bethlehem Church in Irwin County, and its history does not match the marker. Presumably the state's records were in error, placing the marker in the wrong location in the wrong county. The situation remains a bit of a mystery, which will likely never be completely resolved.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 5, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.