Clifton in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Orange and Alexandria Railroad
The O&A was the Union army’s lifeline, efficiently moving provisions, equipment, and men from Alexandria deep into central Virginia. Confederate partisan units, such as the Chinquapin Rangers and Mosby’s Rangers, frequently attacked the line, the workers, and the Federal troops. With the support of pro-Confederate local residents, the partisan units were successful in disrupting Union railroad operations. In 1863, Gen. George G. Meade issued a proclamation on July 30 informing residents within ten miles of the railroad that they would be held responsible “for any injury done to the road, trains, depots or stations by citizens, guerrillas, or persons in disguise.” Meade also announced that if attacks did not cease, the entire
(Sidebar): Capt. James C. Kincheloe and his brother Sgt. William S. Kincheloe served with the Chinquapin Rangers. On November 25, 1863, this unit conducted a raid near Devereux Station. In retaliation, Union soldiers rounded up local residents considered suspicious, including the brothers’ father, John Kincheloe IV. The Kincheloe plantation was located approximately a mile south of here.
Erected 2012 by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1862.
Location. 38° 46.85′ N, 77° 23.222′ W. Marker is in Clifton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Main Street / Clifton Road (Virginia Route 645), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clifton VA 20124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sangster’s Station (a few steps from this marker); Buckley Store (within shouting distance of this marker); “Pink” HouseWeaver House (within shouting distance of this marker); Clifton Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Devereux Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Quigg House (within shouting distance of this marker); Detwiler House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clifton.
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker is a photo captioned Constructing Y switch at Devereux Station to allow trains to pull off and turn around - Courtesy National Archives & Records Administration. On the right side of the marker is a map captioned Orange & Alexandria Railroad - Courtesy Library of Congress. The marker sidebar features two portraits captioned Capt. James C. Kincheloe and Sgt. William S. Kincheloe both Courtesy Kincheloe Family.
Also see . . .
1. Proclamation. Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, July 30, 1863. Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series 1 - Volume 27 (Part III) (Submitted on July 6, 2012.)
2. The Orange & Alexandria Railroad. Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC) Web site (Submitted on July 6, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2012. This page has been viewed 947 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2012. 3. submitted on November 16, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on July 6, 2012. 5, 6. submitted on November 16, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.