Near Plant City in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hillsborough County Historic Landmark
— circa 1933 —
In the 1930s residents made great sacrifices to ensure education for their community -- raising $1,100 and donating over 10 acres of land for the school. The Hillsborough County School Board assisted in the construction of a three-room wood building, and in later years additional classrooms were added.
The new school, named for William Glover, existed as a Strawberry School until 1956. In 1971, due to desegration, the Glover School was converted to a sixth grade center, and white students were bused in from surrounding areas. The Glover School closed in 1980, and in 1981, the Hillsborough County School Board deeded the property to the newly formed non-profit organization, Bealsville, Inc. Today this landmark building still stands and continues to serve residents as a community center -- providing vital services to the Bealsville community.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education.
Location. 27° 56.535′ N, 82° 4.808′ W. Marker is near Plant City, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on Horton Road north of State Road 60, on the right when traveling north. The marker is in the rural Bealsville community, which is one mile west of the Polk County line, and around 7 miles southeast of Plant City. The marker stands along Horton Road in front of the former school. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5110 Horton Road, Plant City FL 33567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bealsville (approx. 0.4 miles away); 320th Bombardment Group (M) (approx. 5.4 miles away); Bing Rooming House (approx. 5.4 miles away); Turkey Creek School (approx. 5˝ miles away); Echebucsassa Post Office (approx. 5.6 miles away); Plant City Union Depot (approx. 5.7 miles away); Town of Plant City (approx. 5.7 miles away); Site of Methodist Episcopal Church South (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plant City.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the official logo of Hillsborough County, Florida.
Regarding Glover School. Bealsville resident William A. Glover received the honor of having the Glover School named for him after his family
"Strawberry School" was the name given to schools in Florida which held classes during the summer months and observed a break of several months during the winter, flipping the traditional school calendar. This was done so that children would be available to assist their families with the annual strawberry harvest, which ran from late December to March.
The Glover School was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 2001 (ref #01001307).
Also see . . .
1. The History of Glover School Campus. Detailed history of the school, its teachers, and alumni, information on programs housed by the Community Center, and news regarding building restoration at the Bealsville, Inc. website. (Submitted on July 7, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
2. Glover School page on Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 7, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 632 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 7, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.