Fort Benning in Chattahoochee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Post Headquarters -- JAG
On this site stood Building 5, the first permanent Post HQ building and later the Judge Advocate General (JAG) Building. Built in 1911 as a dairy creamery, it became the Officers' Mess in 1919. In 1924 it became the Post HQ, headed by the Garrison Commander. Major tenants included: Infantry School HQ (until 1935), General Staff, Chaplain, legal offices, and Infantry Test Board. In 1964 Post HQ relocated and it became the JAG Building. From 1948 to 2009, thousands of courts-martial were held here, including U.S. v. Calley (1971).
Building 5 expanded several times during its 98-year existence. The 1911 creamery was a 50 x 75 foot brick building for a dairy farm. In 1925, as Post HQ, a second brick building with a connecting corridor was added. WWII mobilization required more floor space. In 1943, the brick buildings were merged and a large wing added, tripling the building's size. A courtroom was built within the wing in 1948. The building was destroyed by arson on Feb 6, 2009.
Erected 2010 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Environmental Management Division,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical date for this entry is February 6, 2009.
Location. 32° 22.047′ N, 84° 57.648′ W. Marker is in Fort Benning, Georgia, in Chattahoochee County. Marker is at the intersection of Vibbert Avenue and Austin Loop, on the right when traveling east on Vibbert Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6970 Vibbert Avenue, Fort Benning GA 31905, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Riverside" (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dwight David Eisenhower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gowdy Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Benning / Fort Benning Military Reservation (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lafayette Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); China Gate (approx. 0.4 miles away); "The Buffaloes" (approx. half a mile away); Fort Benning - Station Hospital / National Infantry Museum (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Benning.
Additional keywords. U.S. Army
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 13, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 6. submitted on December 24, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.