Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Lufkin
Visiting ministers served the congregation for many years. Worship services were held in local halls until the school building was established as the first permanent home for the church. In 1903 the school was donated by Judge E.J. Mantooth and later remodeled into a church edifice. Two residences were purchased in 1912 in downtown Lufkin and converted into a place of worship and a parsonage, but were later torn down. In 1920 the church building constructed by the congregation was dedicated. The congregation bought six acres of land in 1949 at South Raguet and South First Streets and new church buildings were completed in June 1954. Several additions were made to house the growing programs of the church. The First Christian Church of Lufkin continues
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6997.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 19.41′ N, 94° 43.687′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on South First Street (Business U.S. 59) south of Lavan Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 S 1st St, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); W.C. Trout and the Counter-Balanced Pumping Unit (approx. 0.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Lufkin (approx. 0.7 miles away); City of Lufkin (approx. 0.8 miles away); Angelina County (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. one mile away); KRBA-AM Radio Station (approx. 1.1 miles away); Birthplace of Allan Shivers (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 673 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 16, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.