Fort Benning in Chattahoochee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
“Riverside” was built in 1909 by Arthur Bussey, a prominent Columbus, Georgia businessman, and served as a summer home for the Bussey family. The spacious dwelling was surrounded by one of the last self-supporting plantations in this area. When in 1918 Camp Benning was founded and the Infantry School moved from Fort Sill, Oklahoma, to Columbus, Georgia, “Riverside” became a military quarters. Since that time, this stately commanding residence served as official living quarters for a succession of commanding generals at the Home of the Infantry, and in 1972 was designated a National Historic Home and accepted by the National Register of Historic Places.
General of the Army Omar N. Bradley resided here during the period February 1941 to January 1942, while serving as Commandant of the Infantry School in the grade of Brigadier General.
General of the Army George C. Marshall, while serving in the grade of Lieutenant Colonel as Assistant Commandant of the Infantry School from November 1927 to June 1932, resided in quarters which were located to the left rear of “Riverside,” the structure was
General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower occupied quarters to the right front of “Riverside” at 206 Austin Loop from August 1926 to January 1927. General Eisenhower at that time held the rank of Major and was Commander of the 2d Battalion, 24th Infantry.
Erected 1974 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 026-5.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Military • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #34 Dwight D. Eisenhower, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists.
Location. 32° 22.077′ N, 84° 57.534′ W. Marker is in Fort Benning, Georgia, in Chattahoochee County. Marker is on Vibbert Avenue 0.1 miles west of Lumpkin Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Vibbert Avenue, Fort Benning GA 31905, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dwight David Eisenhower (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Headquarters -- JAG (about 600 feet away); Fort Benning / Fort Benning Military Reservation (approx. ¼ mile away); Gowdy Field (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lafayette Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); China Gate (approx. 0.4 miles away); "The Buffaloes" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Benning - Station Hospital / National Infantry Museum (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Benning.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,512 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on July 18, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on December 17, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on December 24, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 4. submitted on December 17, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 5. submitted on January 20, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.