“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Concord in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Old Fire Hall

Old Fire Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Concord Historical Society, circa July 2012
1. Old Fire Hall Marker
Concord Historical
Built in 1892
Concord's First Firehouse

Erected 2008 by Concord Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 37° 58.615′ N, 122° 2.197′ W. Marker is in Concord, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of Concord Avenue and Salvio Street, on the left when traveling south on Concord Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1982 Concord Avenue, Concord CA 94520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Perry House (a few steps from this marker); Beebe House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dedicated to the Founders of Todos Santos (approx. 0.2 miles away); About Don Salvio Pacheco (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bibber House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Neustaedter House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ivey House (approx. 0.2 miles away); County Fire House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Concord.
Regarding Old Fire Hall. One of
Old Fire Hall image. Click for full size.
Concord Historical Society, circa July 2012
2. Old Fire Hall
Click or scan to see
this page online
the most historic buildings in Concord is the Old Fire House. The structure was originally located on a lot on the west side of Mt. Diablo Street near Willow Pass Road. Actions to build the facility there for the Volunteer Hook and Ladder Company No.1 began in 1880 with the purchase of a lot costing $50. J.W. Guy was paid $570 to build the first Fire House, which eventually opened in 1892 after constant rounds of fund raisers. Built in the Italianate architectural style popular then, its cast-iron bell on top summoned firemen and signaled a curfew. In 1911 to accommodate pending construction of the Concord Inn, the structure was relocated around the corner to the south side of Willow Pass Road, between Mt. Diablo and Galindo Streets.

In 1939 it was converted for City Hall and Police Department uses. Subsequently, it housed, in turn, the
Chamber of Commerce, an art studio, and the Salvation Army. In 1989, it was moved to its present location, where it has been restored and is used for commercial purposes.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2012, by Concord Historical Society of Concord, California. This page has been viewed 473 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2012, by Concord Historical Society of Concord, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Dec. 5, 2022