Kingston in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fair Street Church
Reformed Church meets here in the oldest
public worship building in Kingston.
Established as the Second Reformed Church
of Kingston in January, 1849, the small
group of 27 people originally met for worship
in the County Court House on Wall Street.
In 1850 construction of the church began,
using local dolomite limestone taken from a
quarry on upper Pearl Street. The church was
originally graced by a steeple purported to be
the highest of its time out of New York City.
On March 17, 1854, Good Friday, it was
blown over in a very heavy gale. No one was
hurt and only the front steps of the church
were damaged by the fall. The Congregation
believed this was a sign of God’s displeasure
with their pride over the height of the
steeple, and they vowed never to replace it.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 41° 55.886′ N, 74° 1.036′ W. Marker is in Kingston, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston NY 12401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New York State Assembly (within shouting distance of this marker); Bogardus Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Blockhouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); One Hundred and Twentieth Infantry New York Volunteers (about 600 feet away); George Clinton (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named George Clinton (about 600 feet away); George Washington (about 600 feet away); Patriots of the Revolution (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 23, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.