Hondo in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Medina County Courthouse
During the administration of County Judge B. Brucks, a building contract was let to the construction firm of Martin, Byrne and Johnson. Limestone with a slightly yellowish cast was secured about six miles north of town from the ranch of Joe Decker. Completed in 1893, the new courthouse provided office space for the County Judge, tax assessor, treasurer, attorney, county and district clerk, and featured a large district courtroom on the second floor.
Between 1939 and 1942, changes to the courthouse were made, including the addition of two two-story wings. Stone for the new wings was secured again from limestone deposits on the Decker Ranch.
The classical revival courthouse exhibits some influences of the Italianate style. Prominent features include the rusticated stone walls, classical portico over the entryway, a broken triangular pediment,
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3313.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 29° 21.027′ N, 99° 8.48′ W. Marker is in Hondo, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is on 16th Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 16th St, Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stephen F. Austin Memorial Oak Tree (a few steps from this marker); Old Medina County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Hondo Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Hondo (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leinweber Building (about 600 feet away); Fohn-Bless Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint John The Evangelist Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Medina County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hondo.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 2,039 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 27, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.