Hondo in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Permanent settlers to the area began arriving with Henri Castro in the 1840s. The Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio (GH & SA) railroad began to consider the busy village on Hondo Creek for the location of a depot in the late 19th Century. They ultimately chose 188 acres five miles west of the town. The first deeds were executed in 1881.
A post office for Hondo City was approved in 1882. Knowing that the county seat might be moved from Castroville to a more central location, The GH & SA donated land for a courthouse in 1883. The county seat was relocated to Hondo City in 1892. In the early 20th Century the town, by then known simply as Hondo, developed as a trade center and cotton shipping point. Oil was discovered in the area in the 1920s. The population grew steadily with commerce; by 1940 it reached 2,500.
The town's population exploded in 1942 when an Army Air Corps base was built to the northwest. Hondo was
Hondo grew steadily in the late 20th Century. Its population in 1998 was more than 8,000. The community continues to thrive.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12144.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 29° 20.969′ N, 99° 8.498′ W. Marker is in Hondo, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of 17th Street and Avenue M (State Highway 462), on the left when traveling east on 17th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leinweber Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Medina County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stephen F. Austin Memorial Oak Tree (about 400 feet away); Hondo Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Old Medina County JailFohn-Bless Store (about 500 feet away); Saint John The Evangelist Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Medina County (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hondo.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,354 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.