Denver in Denver County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Rocky Mountain News
Property of the State of Colorado
On this site stood the original home of
Rocky Mountain News
First newspaper established in
the Pike's Peak Gold Region
Founded by Wm. N.Byers, April 23, 1859,
Champion of Law and Order in
Jefferson Territory; "Advocate of
Faith in emerging Colorado.
Located on neutral ground between
pioneer towns, Denver and Auraria.
Building and press lost in Great
Cherry Creek Flood, May 19, 1864.
Erected 1934 by the State Historical Society of Colorado from the Mrs. J. N. Hall Foundation, commemorating the 75th Anniversary of the founding of Colorado’s first newspaper. (Marker Number 32.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Disasters. In addition, it is included in the Colorado - History Colorado series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 23, 1881.
Location. 39° 44.879′ N, 105° 0.085′ W. Marker is in Denver, Colorado, in Denver CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1352 Market St, Denver CO 80202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elephant Corral (within shouting distance of this marker); Denver City (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Denver's Old City Hall (about 500 feet away); Lynching in America / The Lynching of Preston Porter, Jr. (about 600 feet away); Site of the First Gathering of Freemasons in Colorado (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The Elephant Corral (about 700 feet away); Constitution Hall (about 700 feet away); Larimer Street (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denver.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,143 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 27, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.