Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Friendship Baptist Church
Founded in 1892 at 4th Avenue and 6th Street, the church moved to its permanent home here in January of 1897. The first minister was Rev. J. S. Kelsey, who served the church from 1897-1901. The present building was completed under his leadership. It was enlarged and improved during the long ministry of Rev. R. K. Paschel, 1901-1944. A dream of Rev. Paschel was realized in 1950 with the completion of the educational annex named in his honor. Four other pastors served during the church’s first century: A. W. Fortson, 1944-1968; W. H. Smith, 1968-1974; James H. Carter, 1974-1978; and Emmett S. Aniton, Jr., 1979-present. “In this church on the corner, everybody is somebody.”
Erected 1992 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Friendship Baptist Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1897.
Location. 32° 27.742′ N, 84° 59.101′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 6th Avenue, 0 miles south of 9th Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 831 6th Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ninth Street Branch YMCA (within shouting distance of this marker); First African Baptist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); “Ma" Rainey Home (about 600 feet away); “Columbus Stockade Blues” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Spencer House (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James AME Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Temple Israel (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . Friendship Baptist Church. Church website homepage (Submitted on July 26, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 464 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on July 26, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 24, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.