Caney in Montgomery County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
“Walking Stick” Cannon
Fort Pitt Foundry, Pitts. Pa (FPF)
6 pound shell, 3 5/8 bore, weight 742 lbs.
The impractical slender design caused the barrel to burst. Only 100 were manufactured. Only 14 of this style survive in the United States. Eight men were needed to fire one shell.
First served Sinclair Tank farm east of Caney, later obtained by city as War Memorial and a monument to peace as it never fired a shot in anger.
Erected by Caney Valley Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Peace.
Location. 37° 0.946′ N, 95° 55.834′ W. Marker is in Caney, Kansas, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Taylor Avenue near Hooker Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is south of Sunny Side Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caney KS 67333, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Caney War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Jappa Mason (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain Richard C. MasonRichard Colbert Mason (about 700 feet away); Black Dog Trail Campsite (approx. 0.3 miles away); George H. Wark 1878 - 1974 (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bell's Trading Post and Village Water Well (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caney.
Also see . . . Fort Pitt Foundry. (Submitted on July 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 582 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.