The Fishback Block in 1872
In 1870, ground was broken for the three-story Fishback Block on the site of Jeremiah Kannady's blacksmith shop which manufactured Bowie knives for the Confederate Army. The builder, future Gov. William Meade Fishback (1831-1903), named the 7,000 square foot third floor ballroom after his wife, Adelaide Miller Fishback. Adelaide Hall quickly became the scene of grand balls, beautiful dinner parties, wedding receptions, public meetings and firey political gatherings. City Hall was relocated here. In 1885 the building burned to the ground. Fishback's new two-story building in the same style would be named Adelaide Hall in honor of his wife who had died three years earlier. 110 years later, Adelaide Hall was purchased and completely restored by Richard and Jaunice Griffin.
Erected 2012 by City of Fort Smith and Others.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 35° 23.309′ N, 94° 25.61′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Sebastian County. Marker is at the intersection
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1908 Reunion of U.S. Marshals (a few steps from this marker); Vogel & Wallace (a few steps from this marker); W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 (within shouting distance of this marker); Marble Hall in 1863 (within shouting distance of this marker); Reynolds - Davis Wholesale Grocery Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Phoenix Block (about 500 feet away); First National Bank (about 600 feet away); Confederate [and] Union Occupation of Fort Smith (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Smith.
More about this marker. The markers in this series are placed so that viewers can only read them from the sidewalk while facing the historical subject of the marker.
Also see . . .
1. Adelaide Hall, Fort Smith. (Submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historical plaques placed in downtown Fort Smith. (Submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 692 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 28, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 7. submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.