Canajoharie in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Susan B. Anthony Taught Here 1846
50. Charles F. Wheelock, Prin.,
Erected 1940 by New York State Education Department.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the Susan B. Anthony, and the Women's Suffrage series lists.
Location. 42° 54.29′ N, 74° 34.407′ W. Marker is in Canajoharie, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Otsego Street and Cliff Street, on the right when traveling north on Otsego Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3 Otsego Street, Canajoharie NY 13317, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sullivan-Clinton Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Northeastern Terminal (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canajoharie/Canalway Trail/Pathway Through Mountains (about 600 feet away); Van Alstyne Homestead Chester B. Hoke (about 800 feet away); Routes of the Armies (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shaper Quarry (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wagner Home (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canajoharie.
Regarding Canajoharie Academy. In 1846, at age 26, Susan B. Anthony accepted the position of head of the girls' department at Canajoharie Academy, her first paid position, in order to assist her family then suffering from financial setbacks. She was offered a position as superintendent of the Female Department by the local school board, of which her uncle, Joshua Reed was one of three members. Anthony continued to teach in Canajoharie until the Summer of 1847, earning $110 a year. Other accounts state that Anthony was director of the women's department from April 1848 until 1850, when she left teaching to join Elizabeth Cady Stanton in the national movement for women's suffrage.
The Canajoharie Academy building, better known as the West Hill School, is a historic school building located at Canajoharie, Montgomery County, New York. It was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by prominent local architect Archimedes Russell
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,431 times since then and 196 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 28, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 2. submitted on March 9, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 28, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 6. submitted on January 3, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.