Knox in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1959 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 39.649′ N, 74° 7.969′ W. Marker is in Knox, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Berne-Altamont Road (New York State Route 156) and Farm Lane, on the right when traveling south on Berne-Altamont Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knox NY 12107, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palatine Trail (approx. half a mile away); Pillbox Factory (approx. 0.8 miles away); Knoxville Academy (approx. 0.8 miles away); Town of Knox War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Town of Knox (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pioneer (approx. 1.8 miles away); Dutch Barn (approx. 1.9 miles away); Knieskem Farm (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knox.
More about this marker. Christian Zandt of Trier, Germany had emigrated to Schoharie in 1766. The farm in Knox was granted to Zandt in 1787 by the Patroon Stephen Van Rensselaer. It was Zandt's son, Jacob, who changed the family name to Sand. Peter Sand built the brick house on the farm about 1800.
Dr. and Mrs. John Sand had the State Education Department install the original historic marker in 1936. In 1959, Lester H. Hearn (Grassland Dairy Farm, Knox, NY) reported to the State Historian that the marker was missing. Because the state had no funds for historic markers, Mr. Hearn paid for the replacement - about $35. In 1989 the farm was recognized by the National Bicentennial Farm program of the U.S. Department of Agriculture as having been in the same family since the birth of the U.S. Constitution.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 554 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 28, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4. submitted on July 29, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.