Alexander City in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First United Methodist Church 1872
Following a fire in June 1902 that destroyed the Methodist Episcopal Church of the North Alabama Conference, along with most of downtown Alexander City, the church leadership chose to relocate to this site.
Construction began in 1903 on the neoclassical Romanesque style house of worship. The foundation stones were collected from a nearby farm, and the bricks and timbers were fabricated by local craftsmen within walking distance of the site. The first service in the completed structure was held in May 1906.
The church traces its origin to a small group of Methodists led by Rev. William T. Patillo, who joined with people of other denominations for a union revival held under a bush arbor in the village of Youngsville in the summer of 1872.
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 56.848′ N, 85° 57.296′ W. Marker is in Alexander City, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 Green Street, Alexander City AL 35010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Court Square (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Alexander City: A Textile Community (approx. 0.3 miles away); Youngsville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Needmore 1873 (approx. half a mile away); Socopatoy (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexander City.
Also see . . . Alexander City First United Methodist Church website. (Submitted on July 30, 2012, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2012, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2012, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.