Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
East Florida Seminary
Erected 1969 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-166.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
Location. 29° 39.142′ N, 82° 19.385′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on E. University Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Located between 1st Street NE & 3rd Street NE at Municipal Building, southside plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 E University Avenue, Gainesville FL 32601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Gainesville (a few steps from this marker); First Gainesville Skirmish / Battle of Gainesville (a few Spanish Cattle Ranching (within shouting distance of this marker); Alachula County Courthouse (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gainesville Servicemen's Center / Thelma Boltin Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); Josiah T. Walls (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roper Park / Old City Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Matheson House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
Regarding East Florida Seminary. EFS was a private school in Gainesville from 1866 to 1905, and it was the "earliest parent of the University of Florida," according to Sam Proctor in "Gator History." Epworth Hall, known today, is the only East Florida Seminary building that survived. In 1911 it was deeded to the First United Methodist Church, located at 419 Northeast 1st Street. Today the entrance to Epworth Hall is on the west side of the building, but as part of the East Florida Seminary the entrance was on the south side.
In 1851 the Florida Legislature passed a bill to establish two tax-supported state schools—one in East Florida, the other in West Florida, divided
Over the years, Mr. James Henry Roper, an educator from North Carolina, built a school called the Gainesville Academy on Northeast 1st Street. Mr. Roper was also a State Senator from Alachua County, and in 1866 he offered his land and school to the State of Florida in exchange for the relocation of EFS to Gainesville. His offer was accepted. The impact of East Florida Seminary on Gainesville was extensive. As the best school in this part of the state, it was a magnet to new settlers, resulting in greater opportunities and prosperity for everyone. East Florida Seminary was absorbed into the University of Florida in 1905-1906. (The Alachua County Library District)
Also see . . . Division of Library and Information Services: Florida Memory. Petition to Establish the East Florida Seminary in Alachua County, 1852.... (Submitted on August 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 684 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.