Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Breese Stevens Field
Claude and Starck, Architects
— 1925; 1934 —
Designated October 16, 1995
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 132.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Sports. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list.
Location. 43° 4.96′ N, 89° 22.403′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Breese Stevens Field (here, next to this marker); City Market (approx. ¼ mile away); Biederstaedt – Breitenbach Grocery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Badger State Shoe Factory (approx. 0.3 miles away); Thomas / Hill Grocery and Residence (approx. 0.3 miles away); Here was Madison’s first African-American neighborhood (approx. 0.3 miles away); Madison Gas & Electric Company Powerhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Leitch House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Breese Stevens Field. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This athletic facility was built on a block sold to the City of Madison in 1923 by the widow of former Madison Mayor Breese J. Stevens. The City hired local architects Claude and Starck to design a stadium for the new field in 1925. The stone walls were constructed in 1934 by the federal Civil Works Administration, the same year lighting towers were erected. During its early years the field was used for most outdoor high school athletic events and for minor league baseball. In 1982 a rehabilitation project converted it to a soccer facility."
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for structures designed by Claude & Starck, and for the Stevens house.
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the structure (pdf). (Submitted on August 1, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3, 4. submitted on July 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.