Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Irwin in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Beginning of the Lincoln Highway

 
 
The Beginning of the Lincoln Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 5, 2012
1. The Beginning of the Lincoln Highway Marker
Inscription.  The Lincoln Highway was the first coast-to-coast highway built in 1913. A group of visionary businessmen from the automotive industry, led by Henry B. Joy and Carl Fisher, formed the Lincoln Highway Association.
The Association successfully spearheaded the creation of the publicly funded road that stretched from New York City, New York to San Francisco, California The road would be the first transcontinental highway. The Association engaged in very little actual road building, but it did fire the public's imagination and soon their project was under way. When it was completed it stretched 3,389 miles.
In Pennsylvania, much of the Lincoln Highway was constructed by improving and linking pre-existing roads, including the turnpikes and Forbes Road. It was a focal point of the Good Roads Movement, which would untimately lead to the development of highways all over the nation.
The Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor, is a non-profit heritage region that follows the Lincoln Highway through six Pennsylvania counties: Westmoreland, Somerset, Bedford, Fulton, Franklin, and Adams.
The first segments of the Lincoln Highway measured
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
ten feet wide. Later, a wider width was recommended so two automobiles could drive on the road at the same time. Then, an 18-foot minimum in 1918 was established, and it still was not wide enough as seen in the photograph above. Today, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation specifications call for a 24' width for two-lane, local access roads.
 
Erected by Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Lincoln Highway series list.
 
Location. 40° 19.704′ N, 79° 42.606′ W. Marker is in Irwin, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue (Old Route 30) and Main Street. Located at Entrance to Irwin Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Irwin PA 15642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Irwin House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Walthour (approx. 1.4 miles away); Braddock's Military Road 1755 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Long Run Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Braddock's Military Road 1755 Monacatootha's Camp (approx. 2.8 miles away); Fort Reburn
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 4 miles away); Ambush (approx. 4.8 miles away); Bushy Run Battlefield (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irwin.
 
Also see . . .  Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor. (Submitted on August 5, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 585 times since then and 28 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on August 5, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 8, 2020