Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort Omaha Fire Station
Fort Omaha Walking Tour
Originally a filtration plant constructed in 1912, this building was remodeled and enlarged to become the Post Exchange Building in 1923. All incoming or outgoing calls, whether emergency or routine, would pass through the Post switchboard housed here.
The building’s capacity for handling emergencies was enhanced when it became the Post fire station. The framework of a previous double doorway on the south end of the building shows remodeling to accommodate fire equipment. In addition, for several years the Lynch Plumbing Company operated a plumbing shop exclusively for Fort Omaha in the rear portion.
In 1933 the structure was converted to a one-family residence for the Post Commander. Following the Navy’s occupation of the Fort in 1947, it was the only officers’ quarters on the Fort with a built-in garage. It now houses the Office of the President of Metropolitan Community College.
Erected by Metropolitan Community College, Historical Society of Douglas County, and Nebraska Committee for the Humanities. (Marker Number 10.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these Charity & Public Work • Forts and Castles • War, World I • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 41° 18.416′ N, 95° 57.443′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of East Road and South Road, on the right when traveling north on East Road. Marker is in front of Building 1, on the Metropolitan Community College Campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Omaha NE 68111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Omaha (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Omaha Post Exchange and Gymnasium (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Omaha Headquarters Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Omaha Guardhouse (about 500 feet away); Ordnance Magazine (about 500 feet away); History of Fort Omaha (about 600 feet away); Quartermaster's Office and Commissary (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Crook's Headquarters at Fort Omaha (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Also see . . . Fort Omaha. (Submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.