Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Claude and Starck, Architects
— 1911 —
Designated January 17, 1972
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 6.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 17, 1880.
Location. 43° 4.654′ N, 89° 23.43′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on North Carroll Street 0.1 miles north of West Gilman Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 514 North Carroll Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Van Slyke House (a few steps from this marker); James Mears House (within shouting distance of this marker); World-famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright called Madison his hometown (within shouting distance of this marker); Suhr House (within shouting distance of this marker); Phi Gamma Delta House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Breese J. Stevens House (about 400 feet away); Wootton - Mead House (about 500 feet away); Quisling Towers Apartments (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Beecroft House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This elegant house was built for Madison dentist William Beecroft and his wife Lucy. Dr. Beecroft was known in Madison as "Mr. Theater" because of his activities in developing moving theaters, included the Strand and the Orpheum. The house is a fine example of the Prairie style, with banded leaded glass casement windows and wide eaves. Because of similarities to other known Claude and Starck works, it seems probable that Claude and Starck designed this house."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 6, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 11, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.