Hinesville in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hinesville Institute was closed during the War Between the States, but was reorganized and reopened in 1871 by Captain Samuel Dowse Bradwell, C.S.A., son of James Sharpe Bradwell. The name Bradwell Institute was given the reorganized school honoring Colonel Bradwell, the first headmaster of the Hinesville Institute.
Bradwell Institute was at first a boarding school and college preparatory, offering courses in Latin, Greek, chemistry, and “other useful and practical sciences.” At the turn of the twentieth century the school became a part of the public school system and was for many years the only high school in this section of Georgia, drawing students from surrounding counties.
Erected 1998 by Liberty County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
Location. 31° 51′ N, 81° 36.233′ W. Marker is in Hinesville, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is at the intersection of Pafford street and Fraser Circle, on the right when traveling west on Pafford street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Pafford Street, Hinesville GA 31313, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charlton Hines House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hinesville Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Fort Morris Cannon (approx. half a mile away); Bradwell Park (approx. half a mile away); Liberty County (approx. half a mile away); Liberty County Confederate Monument (approx. half a mile away); Old Liberty County Jail (approx. half a mile away); The Bacon-Fraser House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hinesville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,010 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 9, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.