Upper Pittsgrove in Salem County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pole Tavern Cannon
The Cannon Il Lugano which was forged in Naples in 1763 weighs 800 Pounds. Il Lugano was used in battle against the Austrians. Napoleon who visited Italy once in 1796 and again in 1800 dragged the cannon over the Alps and Eventually back to France. Napoleon then sent the cannon to his brother Joseph who was the ruler of Spain. In 1808 the Duke of Wellington's Troops captured the cannon from Joseph and returned it to England. It was then used in Canada during the war of 1812 when American colonists captured it in 1814 in Plattsburg, New York. After the war was over the cannon was declared surplus by the United States Government, and sold to Salem County to Supply the county militia. During the Civil War (1861-1865) the cannon was used by the Pole Tavern Militia in preparation for battle. Since 1913 the cannon has been in the Pole Tavern Area.
The Cannon was restored in 1986 by Jay Williams and David Harvey with tremendous pride in their accomplishment.
This building was constructed in 1994 by Nicholas Hutchinson and fellow Scouts, to house and protect this historic cannon. Nicolas chose this project as a requirement
Made in Naples, Italy in 1763. Captured by Napoleon in 1800. Used by the French in Spain. Captured by the English. Brought to U.S. during War of 1812. Captured by American Army. Later sold to Salem County Arsenal.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War of 1812 • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1763.
Location. 39° 36.995′ N, 75° 13.786′ W. Marker is in Upper Pittsgrove, New Jersey, in Salem County. Marker is on Harding Highway (U.S. 40) near Pole Tavern Circle. The Pole Tavern Circle is the intersection of Harding Highway (US route 40) with Old Tavern Road, the Pole Tavern -- Elmer Road, and the Bridgeton Pike. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elmer NJ 08318, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Pittsgrove Presbyterian Church (approx. 2 miles away); Pittsgrove Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); School Bell (approx. 5.4 miles away); School Buildings (approx. 5.4 miles away); Fire Ring (approx. 5.6 miles away); County Bridges (approx. 5.6 miles away); Dickinson House (approx. 5.6 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is inside the plastic sided shed that protects the cannon.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 658 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 11, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2. submitted on July 29, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on August 11, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on July 29, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 5, 6. submitted on August 11, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.