Louisville in Jefferson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Capitol Building
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) and the United Daughters of the Confederacy (U.D.C.).
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1796.
Location. 32° 59.9′ N, 82° 24.483′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Georgia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Broad Street (Business U.S. 1) 0 miles east of Green Street, on the right when traveling east. The marker stands in front of the Jefferson County Courthouse, built in 1904 on the foundations of the 1848 courthouse which had been built from materials of the original state capitol. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville GA 30434, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To Commemorate the Site of the First Permanent Capitol of Georgia (here, next to this marker); Old State Capitol (a few steps from this marker); "Yazoo Fraud" (within shouting The Sacking of Louisville (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Market House (about 800 feet away); Abbot & Stone Building 1890 (about 800 feet away); Louisville, Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rocky Comfort Creek (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 479 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.