Louisville in Jefferson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
To Commemorate the Site of the First Permanent Capitol of Georgia
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics.
Location. 32° 59.9′ N, 82° 24.483′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Georgia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Broad Street (Business U.S. 1) 0 miles east of Green Street, on the right when traveling east. The marker stands in front of the Jefferson County Courthouse, built in 1904 on the foundations of the 1848 courthouse which had been built from materials of the original state capitol. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville GA 30434, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Capitol Building (here, next to this marker); Old State Capitol (a few steps from this marker); "Yazoo Fraud" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sacking of Louisville (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Market House (about 800 feet away); Louisville, Georgia (approx. Rocky Comfort Creek (approx. 0.8 miles away); Crossing the Ogeechee River (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Yazoo Land Fraud. The "fire drawn from heaven" is described in Georgia: The WPA Guide to Its Towns and Countryside, 1940: “Tradition has handed down a dramatic story of the burning of the Yazoo papers. While the crowd stood with uncovered heads, a white-haired stranger galloped up, dismounted, and proclaimed that he had come to see justice done. Saying that only fire from heaven should destroy such works of iniquity, he drew a sunglass from his pocket and held it over the pile of paper until smoke began to rise. Then he rode away, never to be seen again.” (Submitted on August 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 441 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.