West Point in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
North and South Redoubts
In 1779, Major General Heath supervised construction of South (Middle) and North Redoubts (located across the river and east of the Town of Garrison). Both were designed to prevent British control of eastern approaches to West Point and Constitution Island. Washington was probably inspecting South Redoubt when Benedict Arnold, learning of Major Andre’s capture, fled from his headquarters at the Beverly Robinson House.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1779.
Location. 41° 23.388′ N, 73° 57.816′ W. Marker is in West Point, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on Delafield Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located inside Fort Putnam on the grounds of the United States Military Academy. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Point NY 10996, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Putnam (a few steps from this marker); Cannon (a few steps from this marker); Fort Arnold (a few steps from this marker); Forts Webb, Wyllys and Meigs (a few steps Artillery Blind (a few steps from this marker); Casemates (within shouting distance of this marker); Sherburne’s Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); Artillery and Mortars (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Point.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 19, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.