Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Wagner in Marinette County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

McAllister State Graded School

 
 
McAllister State Graded School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, August 19, 2012
1. McAllister State Graded School Marker
Inscription.  The term “graded school” was used to refer to any school that had more than one room and therefore contained more than one grade level of pupils. The McAllister State Graded School was built in 1914 and added to in 1919, 1924 and 1936. This was a response to the state government's encouragement of “state graded” schools as a means to improve the quality of rural education. In the early twentieth century, Marinette County had many one room schools but only three two-room state graded schools. The building was purchased by the Town of Wagner for use as a Town Hall in 1957.
 
Erected 2001 by State Historical Society of Wisconsin. (Marker Number 464.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 45° 19.601′ N, 87° 42.548′ W. Marker is in Wagner, Wisconsin, in Marinette County. Marker is on County Highway JJ 0.3 miles east of Peterson Road, on the right when traveling
McAllister State Graded School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, August 19, 2012
2. McAllister State Graded School Marker
Marker is in front of Wagner Town Hall building.
east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: W2379 CR-JJ, Wausaukee WI 54177, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Owen Francis Patrick Hammerberg (approx. 7.8 miles away in Michigan); Chapee Rapids (approx. 11.9 miles away in Michigan).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2012, by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2012, by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 26, 2020