Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of a two story brick building built for Robert H. Vance of San Francisco in 1853. One of five brick structures erected that year, it was first occupied as a store. Almost coincident with the founding of Camp Union in 1861, it was taken over by Martin Arenz for a brewery and operated until after 1880. It ended up as a rental hall and was razed in 1952, but for ninety years was called The Sutterville Brewery. It was Sutterville's last remaining building.
Erected 1983 by The Ancient and Honorable Order of E. Clampus Vitus, New Helvetia Chapter No. 5, August 6, 1983.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 38° 32.29′ N, 121° 30.296′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker is on Sutterville Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1250 Sutterville Road, Sacramento CA 95822, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Union Sutterville (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spencer Hoofed Animal Complex (about 300 feet away); Memorial Grove (approx. half a mile away); Sacramento County WW I Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); 4th Avenue / Wayne Hultgren Light Rail Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Maine Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); General Albert Maver Winn (approx. 1.6 miles away); James Logan Butler (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
1. From the book titled California-A Guide to the Golden State
Compiled and written by The Federal Writers Project of the Works Progress Administration for the State of California, Published in 1939.
On Page 255, there is a map of Sacramento showing the location of thirteen historical sites. Number 13 on the map is Sutterville with the description of: The site of SUTTERVILLE, the town first projected by Captain Sutter in 1844, is south of William Land Park, across Sutterville Rd. The first brick house in California was built here in 1847. All that remains is
— Submitted March 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,198 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on August 20, 2012. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.