Romney in Hampshire County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Hampshire County Courthouse
Secession and Occupation
Although Hampshire County became part of the new state of West Virginia, county residents generally sided with the Confederacy during the war. On May 18, 1861, two local militia companies, the Hampshire Guards and the Frontier Riflemen, left Romney to join other Confederate units training at Harpers Ferry. During the course of the war, Hampshire County raised thirteen Confederate companies and only one for the Union. After the war, on September 26, 1867, Hampshire County dedicated what is perhaps the first Confederate Memorial in the United States. It still stands in Romney’s Indian Mound Cemetery.
Several times during the war, the troops of one side or the other occupied the Hampshire County Courthouse. As
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 20.52′ N, 78° 45.378′ W. Marker is in Romney, West Virginia, in Hampshire County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 50) and North High Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Romney WV 26757, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Romney / Early Memorial (here, next to this marker); Romney in 1861–1865 / “Stonewall” Jackson (a few steps from this marker); Hampshire County World War I Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Gilbert Proctor Miller (a few steps from this marker); Old Literary Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Easton Family Homesite (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Jackson's Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Romney.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Hampshire County Courthouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 517 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on August 29, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.