Cape Girardeau in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
St Vincent's Seminary and Southeast Missouri State University
Joseph Lansmann designed and constructed the original main building (1843) in the Colonial Revival style. A red brick structure with rectangular windows, jack arches and a square bell tower, it still stands. In the 1850s and 1870s, additions were made. Other outbuildings and a brick handball court (still extant) were also built.
In 1998, the property passed to Southeast Missouri State University. The University has restored the Seminary buildings, added new cultural attractions, and converted the site into the River Campus for the visual and performing arts.
Erected by Southeast Missouri State University.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cape Girardeau MO 63701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company (here, next to this marker); Cape Girardeau River Crossings (a few steps from this marker); Cape Girardeau and the Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); River Commerce (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Champion Beech Tree (about 500 feet away); Cape La Croix Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); Don Louis Lorimier / El Camino Real (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old St. Vincent's Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cape Girardeau.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2012, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 1,035 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 23, 2012, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.