Shepherdstown in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
"Crows..,will have to carry their provender with them"
— 1864 Valley Campaign —
In 1864, the conduct of the Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley, the “Breadbasket of the Confederacy” and an avenue of invasion, underwent significant change. Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant was determined to eliminate the Valley as a source of food for the Confederate Army. He ordered Gen. David Hunter, commanding the Federal army in the Valley, “to eat out Virginia clear and clean as far as they go, so that crows flying over it for the balance of this season will to carry their provender with them.” Unfortunately for the Valley’s
On July 19, 1864, Capt. Franklin Martindale and a detachment of the 1st New York Cavalry rode from Harpers Ferry to this spot. Martindale had come to burn Fountain Rock, a beautiful native limestone house built in 1834 for Dr. Henry Boteler, in partial retaliation for Gen. Jubal A. Early’s burning of the Maryland governor’s house. By 1864, Fountain Rock was the home of Boteler’s son, Alexander Robinson Boteler, who served as an aide on the staff of Gen J.E.B. Stuart and also was a member of the Confederate Congress.
Boteler’s two daughters were at Fountain Rock when Martindale appeared. He ordered them to leave the house and then set the place ablaze, destroying the house as well as Boteler’s library and his valuable collection of letters that chronicled the early history of the Lower Shenandoah Valley. The only items that were saved were the leather-bound volumes of the Congressional Record.
(Sidebar): In the 1920s, the ruins of Fountain Rock were removed and first a pavilion and then a barn were built here. The Shepherdstown Men's Club acquired the property in 1961. Four years later, the club erected the present picnic pavilion where Fountain Rock once looked out on the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Erected by West Virginia
Marker series. This marker is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 25.302′ N, 77° 49.272′ W. Marker is in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearneysville Pike (State Highway 480) and Sweaningen Way on Kearneysville Pike. Located in Morgan Grove Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4196 Kearneysville Pike, Shepherdstown WV 25443, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shepherdstown Rally Point (here, next to this marker); The Spirit of 1775 (was approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing. ); a different marker also named Spirit of 1775 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Elmwood Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Elmwood Cemetery Vault (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Soldiers in Elmwood Cemetery / Colonel Henry Kyd Douglas (approx. 0.7 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shepherdstown.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Fountain Rock.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 566 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 23, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on September 10, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on August 23, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 2, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.