Cape Girardeau in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri
Lorimier established himself at what came to be known as Old Cape Girardeau about 1793, and then moved two miles down river to what came to be known as New Cape Girardeau. A large band of Shawnee who followed him from Ohio settled nearby. The Spanish welcomed these Natives American newcomers, hoping potential American incursions from across the Mississippi.
Capt. Lewis found the commandant and his family at a horse race being held nearby, and after Lorimier settled a heated dispute with fellow gamblers over the results of one of the races, he invited Lewis to join his family for supper. The party returned
After supper, which Lewis said was "really a comfortable and desent one," the captain bid the family an affectionate farewell and was conducted by one of Lorimier's sons on the three-mile horseback ride up to Old Cape Girardeau where he rejoined his companions and the boats.
Louis Lorimier was a French Canadian who had supported the British and their Indian allies during the American Revolution. His trading post on a branch of the Miami River had been burned by men under the command of Gen. George Rogers Clark (brother of expedition co-leader William Clark) in the early 1780s. Lorimier then relocated to Spanish Louisiana in the late1780s with a group of Shawnee and Delaware Indians, who became known as the "Absentee Shawnee." Meriwether Lewis described Lorimier as a cheerful man with a thick, long mane of hair that fell nearly to his knees. He guessed Lorimier was about 5 feet 8 inches tall and about 60 years old, but had scarcely any gray in his hair. Lewis was also much taken with Lorimier's mixed blood Shawnee Indian wife and their handsome children. Lewis later secured an appointment to the recently founded United States Military Academy at West Point for two of Lorimier's sons.
"...landed at the cape and called on the Commandt. [Louis Lorimier] and delivered
Meriwether Lewis, Nov 23, 1803
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Exploration.
Location. 37° 18.058′ N, 89° 31.123′ W. Marker is in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, in Cape Girardeau County. Marker is on South Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Located in front of the Red House Museum first marker to the far left. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 South Main Street, Cape Girardeau MO 63701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Red House Interpretive Center (a few steps from this marker); George Drouillard (a few steps from this marker); The Red House (a few steps from this 1925 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1964 (within shouting distance of this marker); Old St. Vincent's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Missouri Mule / The Wild West (within shouting distance of this marker); The Artists (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cape Girardeau.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2012, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 506 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 23, 2012, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.