Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Jacob Ruff House, ca. 1829
This house is a fine example of the Valley Federal style with elegant detailing including the fanlight over the front door and a molded brick cornice. When the streets were lowered in 1851, the entrance was reoriented to the side. The Ruff Family had a hat factory next door in the early 1800s, but used this house as a showroom and living space. In 1850 John Ruff deeded the property to his son, Jacob Ruff, with permission to build a future house between the two properties. That may explain the curious cantilevered chimney on the north side of the building. If the house had been built, it could have shared this chimney. At the invitation of Jacob Ruff, then mayor, U.S. President Millard Fillmore visited this house in 1851. Mr. and Mrs. G. Otis Meade III purchased the property from Historic Lexington Foundation in 1974 and carefully restored and adapted it for use as a real estate office. (Photo ca. 1925)
Erected by Historic Lexington Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, Former U.S. Presidents: #13 Millard Fillmore series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 37° 47.13′ N, 79° 26.482′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Virginia. Marker is on N Main Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling north. Marker is on N Main Street, between E Washington St. and E Henry St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington VA 24450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lt. Gen. L.B. Puller (here, next to this marker); Gen. John Lejeune (a few steps from this marker); Willson-Walker House, ca. 1820 (a few steps from this marker); Jonathan Daniels (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Ephraim McDowell (within shouting distance of this marker); Harry Lee & Eliza Walker (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. George S. Patton (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sheridan Livery Inn, 1887 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 817 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 9, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.