Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Sloan House, ca. 1844-45
Alexander T. Sloan and his wife, prominent local hotel keepers, bought the land at the corner of Randolph and Washington Streets in 1844 and proceeded to build their “mansion house” and several “tenements.” This house, at 107 is one of the tenements. Typical of early nineteenth century houses in the valley, it is two stories with central passage dividing two rooms on each floor. What is unusual about the house is its site. The ground was described by Mrs. Sloan as “rough and unsightly” and it certainly was steep. The house had two stories on the front but a full three stories at the back. The present location of the road above the front porch occurred in 1851 when the streets were re-graded. Originally, the road was below porch level. The house has served as a rental property for most of its life. In 1964 Leslie Lyle Campbell left it to the Rockbridge Historical Society. After restoration in the 1970s, it served for ten years as the community’s first Visitor’s Center. (Photo ca. 1930s)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington VA 24450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lexington (a few steps from this marker); Campbell House, ca. 1845 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lt. Gen. Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson 1824-1863 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stonewall Jackson House (about 300 feet away); Jackson's Garden (about 300 feet away); Rockaway (about 300 feet away); The Alexander-Withrow House, ca. 1793 (about 500 feet away); The Jacob Ruff House, ca. 1829 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.