Constitution Island in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built in 1778 on the islandís highest ground, Redoubt 7 blocked the western land approach to the Great Chainís anchor on Constitution Island. In constructing the redoubtís stone rampart, the Army used a large granite outcropping as part of the southwest wall. On this rampart was an earthen parapet held in place by timber or fascines. About 80 infantrymen, unsupported by cannon, were expected to defend Redoubt 7.
In 1782, with the war drawing to a close, Henry Knox, the West Point commandant, wrote George Washington that “the West redoubt on Constitution Island has a roof put upon it, and is otherways prepared as a temporary deposite of powder.” Its use as a magazine continued until 1797, when all of the powder was transferred to West Point.
Location. 41° 24.182′ N, 73° 57.503′ W. Marker is in Constitution Island, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on the west side of Constitution Island, at the U.S. Military Academy. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Point NY 10996, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Soldiersí Huts (approx. 0.2 miles away); Romansí Battery Fort Constitution Area (approx. 0.3 miles away); Marine Battery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Redoubt 6 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Great Chain (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Warner House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Revolutionary War Constitution Island (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Constitution Island.
Also see . . . The Revolutionary War on Constitution Island. The Constitution Island Association website. (Submitted on August 25, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Redoubt 7.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 345 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 25, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.