Near Trenton in Gibson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
C.S.A. Camp Trenton
Located 1.4 miles west of this site, Camp Trenton was a Confederate Army training camp in Gibson County. Colonel M. R. Hill's 47th Tennessee Infantry departed from Camp Trenton by train on Sunday, April 6, 1862, and arrived at the Battle of Shiloh on Monday, April 7, as the only Confederate reinforcements.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4B 39.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 6, 1775.
Location. 36° 1.497′ N, 88° 58.523′ W. Marker is near Trenton, Tennessee, in Gibson County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 45W and Old Dyersburg Road, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 45W. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 150 Old Dyersburg Road, Trenton TN 38382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Forrest at Trenton (approx. 3.4 miles away); Fighting for Trenton (approx. 3½ miles away); David Crockett (approx. 3.6 miles Gibson County Courthouse (approx. 3.6 miles away); Gibson County Confederate Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); a different marker also named Fighting for Trenton (approx. 3.6 miles away); Female Collegiate Institute (approx. 3.7 miles away); a different marker also named Fighting for Trenton (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
Also see . . . 7th Tennessee Infantry Regiment. Tennessee & the Civil War website entry (Submitted on March 17, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 693 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.