Sheffield in Berkshire County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Old Parish Church Clock
Placed Here By The
G.A.R. and W.R.C.
Of This Country As A Memorial Of
George F. Root
Born In Shefffield, August 30 1820
Died August 6, 1895.
Musician – Patriot - Christian
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
Location. 42° 6.63′ N, 73° 21.221′ W. Marker is in Sheffield, Massachusetts, in Berkshire County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 7) and Elm Court, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Located on the Old Parish Church of Sheffield Town. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 South Main Street, Sheffield MA 01257, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cast Steel Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Sheffield World War II Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sheffield World War I Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War II Memorial Trees (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barnard Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Legion Post 340 Veterans Memorial Reconstruction of 1854 Covered Bridge (approx. 0.9 miles away); Off-World Incident (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sheffield.
More about this marker. The Old Parish Church was organized in 1735. This building was erected in 1760 after the congregation outgrew its earlier meeting house on Sheffield Plain. Old Parish was the original town meetinghouse and the site of adoption of the famed Sheffield Declaration of 1733. Originally built in the center of the broad main street, the structure was moved back from the highway in 1819, at which time the steeple and bell were added.
Regarding Old Parish Church Clock. George F. Root was a noted music teacher and songwriter in the 1800’s. He composed the Civil War songs “Tramp, Tramp, Tramp, the Boys are Marching” and the “Battle Cry of Freedom.”
Also see . . . George Frederick Root on Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 26, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 546 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.