Sheffield in Berkshire County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Given to Sheffield in 1937 for a Public Park
John Hall Barnard
In Memory Of
Gen. J.G. Barnard
Dr. F.A.P. Barnard
Former President of Columbia University
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
Location. 42° 6.749′ N, 73° 21.106′ W. Marker is in Sheffield, Massachusetts, in Berkshire County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 7) and Miller Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sheffield MA 01257, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sheffield World War I Monument (a few steps from this marker); Sheffield World War II Monument (a few steps from this marker); World War II Memorial Trees (a few steps from this marker); Cast Steel Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Parish Church Clock (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Legion Post 340 Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Reconstruction of 1854 Covered BridgeOff-World Incident (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sheffield.
Regarding Barnard Park. General John Gross Barnard (1815-1882), was a Union brigadier general and career engineering officer in the United States Civil War. He became Chief Engineer of the Army of the Potomac, 1861 to 1862, Chief Engineer of the Department of Washington from 1861 to 1864, and Chief Engineer of the armies in the field from 1864 to 1865. President Lincoln nominated, and Congress confirmed, Barnard for the honorary rank of brevet major general in 1864. Barnard later served in the honor guard at President Lincoln's funeral.
Also see . . . Dr. F.A.P. Barnard on Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 26, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.