Henry Collins Building
One of the first stores in Hannibal was opened by Henry Collins in a log cabin on this site. In 1839 he advertised "Country produce taken in exchange for goods." In 1851 Leer & Arrogast had a wholesale and retail tobacco store here and the printing office of the Missouri Courier, which had just lost the services of young Sam Clemens, was on the second floor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 39° 42.72′ N, 91° 21.434′ W. Marker is in Hannibal, Missouri, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Hill Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 326 North Main Street, Hannibal MO 63401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joshua Mitchell Building (here, next to this marker); New Cash Store (here, next to this marker); Grant's Drug Store (a few steps from this marker); McDaniel's Candy Store (a few steps from this marker); Abner Nash Building (a
Regarding Henry Collins Building. Building contributes to the Mark Twain National Register Historic District.
Also see . . . Mark Twain Historic District National Register Nomination Form. (Submitted on September 20, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 442 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 27, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.