Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Douglas Flat in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Italian Store

 
 
The Italian Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Baker
1. The Italian Store Marker
Inscription.  Built is 1861 by Antonio and Caterina Gagliardo. Served as a Post Office and social center for the community of Douglas Flat. A hand dug well located next to the store supplied Douglas Flat with good fresh water and remains in good shape today. James Malespina purchased the store in 1885 where it remained in the family for several years.

A Wells Fargo office also occupied the building with a safe and armed guard to protect the gold from the Table Mountain and along Coyote Creek. The mines included The Ohio, Hitchcock, Southwestern, Texas and the Lone Star. Some of these are located directly behind the store. The guard stationed at the rear of the building at its noticeable gun port. Should anyone try to bust the safe, he only had to poke his shotgun through the port that was aligned with the safe and pull the trigger.
 
Erected 2001 by Matuca Chapter 1849 E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 272.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural ResourcesNotable Buildings
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the E Clampus Vitus series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
 
Location. 38° 6.978′ N, 120° 27.248′ W. Marker is in Douglas Flat, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1331 Main St, Douglas Flat CA 95229, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Brownsville (approx. 1.1 miles away); Joseph Schachten (approx. 1.2 miles away); Murphys Grammar School (approx. 1.4 miles away); Buena Vista Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Murphys' Oldest Wooden Home (approx. 1˝ miles away); Dunbar House (approx. 1˝ miles away); Valente Building (approx. 1˝ miles away); Ebbetts Pass Veterans Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away).
 
Regarding The Italian Store. In 1937 this site was designated California Historical Landmark No 272 - DOUGLAS FLAT. “Douglas Flat was a roaring mining camp of the early 1850s. In 1857 the
The Italian Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, September 1, 2008
2. The Italian Store Marker
Harper and Lone Star Claims produced $130,000 worth of gold. The so-called Central Hill Channel, an ancient river deposit from which vast quantities of gold have been taken, is located here.”
 
The Italian Store image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, September 1, 2008
3. The Italian Store
The marker is to the left.
Interior View of the Italian Store image. Click for full size.
August 24, 2012
4. Interior View of the Italian Store
Interior View of the Italian Store image. Click for full size.
August 24, 2012
5. Interior View of the Italian Store
Gilleado Building Plaque, Inside the Italian Store image. Click for full size.
August 24, 2012
6. Gilleado Building Plaque, Inside the Italian Store
Gilleado Building
1851
This stone and adobe building, built in 1851, served as a bank and Wells Fargo stage stop. A little iron-shuttered opening at the left of the rear door opened to a lean-to cabin where the guard kept his shotgun trained at all times on the safe inside the bank building. The building also served as the general store.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2024. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,151 times since then and 72 times this year. Last updated on August 27, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. Photos:   1. submitted on January 23, 2024, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.   2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   4, 5, 6. submitted on August 27, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=58852

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024