Eastport in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Welcome to Eastport
The McNasby Oyster Company
The McNasby Oyster Company moved here from Annapolis City Dock in 1919. This is the last of many oyster-packing houses in Annapolis. Here, watermen sold their harvest. The oysters were shucked, sorted, cleaned, packed into cans and shipped to restaurants
After William "Mac" MacNasby died in the early 1970s, others tried unsuccessfully to revive the oyster business. Later, the oyster and crab populations declined and business efforts ceased. The building is now the home of the Annapolis Maritime Museum.
Text with upper left photo: The McNasby building was flooded by Hurrican Isabel's 8-foot tidal surge in 2003.
Text with lower left photo: "Mac" McNasby (in hat) and Lyle Smith skimmed and cleaned shucked oysters before packing them in cans.
Text with main photo: Shuckers in the 1920s were mainly African-American. They worked all day standing in individual stalls to protect their feet from the oyster shells that piled up around them.
The Barge House
This narrow, 12-foot by 49-foot house is unique by any architectural standard. Winson Gott built it between 1916 and 1919 for the McNasby Oyster Company. It was designed to float on a barge in the summer and then be hauled onshore during the oyster season to serve as housing for the oyster shuckers. After the hurricane of 1933, the house was secured on its permanent foundation. No trace of the original barge remains.
The Barge House is listed as a State Historic Building. In 1991, it became the first home of the Annapolis Maritime Museum, and now serves as the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse
Text with upper left photo: A crew of volunteers helped restore the Barge House. Mayer Ellen O. Moyer (center) officially reopened the Barge House in October, 2005.
Text with main photo: The Barge House was heavily flooded by Hurricane Isabel in 2003. This traditional Chesapeake Bay workboat in the foreground was damaged as well. Can you find it now?
Erected by Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network, Annapolis Maritime Museum, Four Rivers Garden Club.
Location. 38° 58.144′ N, 76° 28.601′ W. Marker is in Eastport, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Street and Bay Shore Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Second Street. Marker is about 50 feet south of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bay Workboats (a few steps from this marker); Harvesting the Bay (within shouting distance of this marker); Cap'n Herbie Sadler (within shouting distance of this marker); Skipjack Lydia D (within shouting distance of this marker); Deadrise Defined (within shouting distance of this marker); Draketail Peg Wallace From this spot, you can see 1774 - The "Annapolis Tea Party" (within shouting distance of this marker); From this spot, you can see 1672 - Providence: Settlement on the Severn (within shouting distance of this marker).
Also see . . . Annapolis Maritime Museum. (Submitted on March 2, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.)
Categories. • African Americans • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Welcome to Eastport.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 990 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 2, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.