Fulton in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tourist Courts and Cottages
The construction of the Copano Bay Causeway and the “Hug the Coast Highway” in 1931 provided excellent automobile – and tourist – access to Fulton.
In 1934, the C.L. Harris family opened the first Fulton tourist court, the Fulton Family Cottages. Two years later, the Poch Family Cottages opened, soon followed by the Bay Shore Cottages, Oak Shore Cottages, Forest Park Cottages, and Palm Courts, all located within a 1/2 mile stretch along Fulton Beach Road.
After World War II, additional tourist courts and trailer parks were opened in Fulton. Although none of the original six tourist courts exists, Fulton continues to host thousands of tourists in its fine hotels, tourist courts and RV parks.
Erected 2012 by Town of Fulton, Aransas County Historical
Location. 28° 3.72′ N, 97° 2.077′ W. Marker is in Fulton, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is on South Fulton Beach Road 0.1 miles north of Broadway Street (Farm to Market Road 3036), on the left when traveling north. Marker is opposite the Sugar Shack restaurant. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 N Fulton Beach Rd, Fulton TX 78358, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fulton Seafood Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Fulton Harbor (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Marion Packing Co. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton Packeries (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton Community Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton Mansion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Home of George W. Fulton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fulton (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fulton.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2012, by Norman Frank of Rockport, Texas. This page has been viewed 541 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2012, by Norman Frank of Rockport, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.