Fulton in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
At the industry’s height, the Fulton packeries included the Boston Beef Packing Co.; Carruthers, Fulton, and Co.; Lyman Meat Packing and Canning; W. S. Hall Co.; American Meat Packing Co.; Meriam Packing Co.; McNeill, Nash and Co.; and D.L. & E.G. Holden. The latter in 1871 became the first mechanically refrigerated slaughter house in America.
As early as 1870, a few of the packeries also processed turtles from Aransas Bay. With some weighing from 100 to 500 pounds, turtles were trapped and kept alive in submerged 12-foot-square rope and wood pens until the price was highest per pound. In 1890, the Fulton Canning Co. produced 40,000 2-pound
In 1895, the State of Texas imposed restrictions to halt the severe depletion of turtles and oysters in its bays. The turtle population was unable to be saved, and by 1900, turtle packing in Fulton ended. Beef packing also declined rapidly after the arrival of a rail line in 1888, which allowed shipment of live cattle to distant packing plants.
Erected 2012 by Town of Fulton, Aransas County Historical Society, Inc., and Aransas County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 28° 3.859′ N, 97° 2.066′ W. Marker is in Fulton, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is at the intersection of North Fulton Beach Road and Chaparral Street, on the right when traveling north on North Fulton Beach Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 N Fulton Beach Rd, Fulton TX 78358, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Marion Packing Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Fulton Harbor (within shouting distance of this marker); Fulton Community Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tourist Courts and Cottages (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton Seafood Industry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fulton Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fulton Mansion (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fulton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2012, by Norman Frank of Rockport, Texas. This page has been viewed 716 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2012, by Norman Frank of Rockport, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.