Waverly Hall in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lucy Laney Elementary School
On this site, in 1954, Lucy Laney Elementary School was opened with the mission of educating black children in the Waverly Hall, Shiloh, Ellerslie, and surrounding areas. The school was named in honor of Lucy Craft Laney, a famous black educator, from Augusta, GA. Mr. Edward F. Robinson served as the first principal of the school. Grades 1 through 8 were taught there until the integration of area public schools in 1970. After integration, the name was changed to Waverly Hall Elementary. The school closed in 1989 and the building was razed in 2004.
Original Superintendent -- Zade Kenimer
Original Principal -- Edward F. Robinson
William A. Long
Reverend George P. McKinney
Theodore C. Bowen
Louie Otis Meadows, Jr.
Erected 2010 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Edward F. Robinson, George H. Luttrell, Jr., Sandra Bruce, Ella Marshall, Michael Harris and Dan Akins.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1954.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6858 Highway 208, Waverly Hall GA 31831, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Wire Road (approx. 4.7 miles away); Kingsboro & Cataula (approx. 7.2 miles away); Richard Christmas (approx. 8½ miles away); Hamilton Female College (approx. 8.7 miles away); B. F. White (approx. 9 miles away); U.S.S. Harris County (approx. 9 miles away); Valley of Hope (approx. 9 miles away); Harris County (approx. 9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 784 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 31, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.